Sunday, November 2, 2008

Zucchini Bread

As it has moved into autumn, we have been looking for more recipes that use squash. I found this recipe on FoodNetwork.com (courtesy of Paula Deen). This is a sweet bread that is good for any occasion: appetizer, snack, breakfast or dessert (but it has zucchini in it so it's healthy, right?). So far I have made it twice and it has been a hit with those who try it. Erin shared it with some friends from dental school and they have been asking for the recipe, so here it is...
  • 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. ground nutmeg
  • 2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 3 cups sugar
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 4 eggs, beaten
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 2 cups finely grated zucchini
  • 1 tsp. lemon juice
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
  • Cinnamon sugar (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two standard loaf pans.

In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and sugar. In a separate bowl, combine oil, eggs, water, zucchini and lemon juice. Mix dry ingredients into wet. Fold in nuts. Divide into the two greased loaf pans. Sprinkle the top generously with cinnamon sugar (certainly not necessary, but certainly recommended). Bake for 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.

5 comments:

Suz said...

I'll have to try it. I made my usualy zucchini soup the other day but substituted spagetti squash for zucchini and it turned out delicious. Try it sometime.

Erin said...

We need the recipe! I can't find it.

Kari said...

What I want to know is if you eat all these recipes! They all look so great, but I'm afraid to eat any of them! I don't seem to have your metabolism! :) I'm planning to try the caramel apples for my daughter's slumber/birthday party tomorrow night! thanks!

Caitlyn Jackson said...

it sounds good, mom BETTER try it xD
When are you going to update your blog?

Abraham said...

Yes, I do eat all of these recipes--or at least sample them. I definitely have a sweet tooth and I eat more sweets than I should. Cooking can be a problem for the wasteline when there are only two people in the house to eat the food. However, I have two observations:
1) By the time I'm done cooking a dessert, I'm usually less tempted to eat large amounts of it than I was when I started. Granted, part of that is because I have been sampling the dough/batter and that takes the edge off the appetite, but usually I'm content to have a cookie or small piece of cake to see that it turned out ok, but then I'm usually able to leave them be. The next day, however, is a different story...
2) I often find just as much satisfaction in sharing the food I bake as I do in eating it. It's fun to make something good and take it to a potluck, a family dinner (if I take a dessert to my family's house there usually won't be much leftover), or share it with a friend/neighbor.

Anyway, I hope the caramel apples turned out ok. It's an activity that people seem to have a lot of fun with!