Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Oatmeal Pie with Cinnamon Whipped Cream

August 2010 017

This is one of my new favorites! I’ve made 3 of these in the past week and everyone I’ve shared it with has really liked it (“Definitely Blog-worthy!” seems to be the consensus).Very easy to make, this pie is reminiscent of pecan pie, but with walnuts, coconut, and oatmeal and with a subtle maple flavor (I used real maple syrup in the recipe, but I think that the cheaper stuff would be just fine). Serve it warm or cold topped with Cinnamon Whipped Cream (recipe follows).

The recipe was passed to my wife from a friend at work (it was originally published in Midwest Living). For all of my Iowa City friends who are looking for a clone of the Oatmeal Pie served at Mondo’s (the best dessert in Iowa City) this is not it. I need to go to Mondo’s again in the near future to refresh my taste memory, but I’m pretty sure that their Oatmeal Pie doesn’t have coconut and I don’t remember it being quite as gooey. Although this pie is a bit different, I’ll be bold enough to say that it is equally as good. Give it a try and see if you agree!

Preheat oven to 375°F.

  • One 9-inch pie crust pressed into pie pan

Beat together the following ingredients:

  • 2 egg
  • 3/4 cup maple syrup
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup melted butter (but not so hot that it cooks the eggs)
  • 1 tsp. vanilla

Stir in the following dry ingredients:

  • 1 cup flaked coconut
  • 3/4 cup rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Pour into pie crust and bake at 375°F for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean (a total baking time of 45 minutes seemed to be just right in my oven). Remove from oven and allow to cool. Serve with Cinnamon Whipped Cream (see below). The pie stores well in the refrigerator and can be reheated in microwave or served cold.

Cinnamon Whipped Cream:

Beat the following together in a bowl until whipped to desired consistency:

  • 1 cup whipping cream
  • 2 T. powdered sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • Dash of ground nutmeg

Serve with pie and store leftovers in refrigerator.

4 comments:

Sarah Beth said...

The three recipes you posted this summer look awesome! I will have to try making at least one of them. :)

ShaeMarie and Ryan said...

Ryan told me about your blog after he brought home a piece of oatmeal pie... It was heavenly and I can't wait to try making it! Thanks for the recipe!

Anna said...

YUMMMM! i love ur desserts abe! I love, love, love, love, ur cinnamon ice cream and ur oatmeal pie! keep it up, big boy!!!!! TTYL

Suz said...

Definitely on my list of "to-make"!