Saturday, December 8, 2007

Caramel-Pecan Cheesecake Pie

My wife loves pie. Since Erin and I got married, I've been trying out more pie recipes. My favorite kind of pie is pecan pie. I made this pie a couple of months ago and it was an instant hit with both of us. It's delicious, unique, and very easy to make—one of my very favorite!

To me, this pie is magical. You put in the cream cheese mix on the bottom, then the pecans in the middle, and the caramel mix on top. When it comes out of the oven, the caramel mix is on the bottom, the cream cheese mix in the middle, and the pecans on the top!

Also, note that the pie needs to be refrigerated at least 4 hours before serving so it is best to make it in the morning or the night before you plan to serve it.
This recipe is from Taste of Home magazine.
  • 1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
  • ½ cup sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 unbaked pastry shell (9-inch, the deep/large size)
  • 1 ¼ cups chopped pecans
  • 1 cup caramel ice cream topping

Preheat oven to 375°.
In a small mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar, 1 egg and vanilla until smooth. Spread into pastry shell; sprinkle with pecans.
In a small bowl, whisk remaining eggs; gradually whisk in caramel topping until blended. Pour over pecans.
Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned (loosely cover with foil after 20 minutes if pie browns too quickly). Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight before slicing. Refrigerate leftovers.

4 comments:

brenna said...

This sounds great! We will have to have this Sunday's pie be this recipe. Thanks for the suggestion :)

Erin said...

I made this for our pie party. It didn't turn out quite right. The carmel stayed in a big gooey mass on top. The only thing I can think went wrong is that I used Hersheys squirt carmel. The small grocery I bought my supplies at was practically out of carmel topping! I would stay away from this in the future. People at the party still raved, but too me it was a bust.

Abraham said...

A jar of Smuckers brand caramel topping worked well for me.

Suz said...

Wow, this is a great recipe. We used Smucker's Butterscotch since that is what we had on had. There won't be any left overs' that go to waste with this pie. Good tip Abe, err...I mean Ironsheff.