Sunday, December 9, 2007

Panipopo

Panipopo is a Samoan dessert. Pani means "bread" and popo means "coconut." I first had this treat when I was staying in Hawaii with my great friend Huy. His mother, Alofa Nanai, made them and I fell in love with them right away. She has been kind enough to make them for me on subsequent visits to Hawaii and I always look forward to them! Simply put, they are rolls that are baked in sweet coconut milk. The milk becomes like a syrup making the rolls gooey and delicious. They are very good right out of the oven, but I have to agree with Huy who prefers them after they've sat for awhile and absorbed more of the milk (they can always be re-warmed in the microwave).

Rolls:

Huy's mom makes the dough from scratch. It is sure tasty. I have to admit, though, that I haven't mastered the art of breadmaking (I'm hoping to learn soon). So, for this part, I just cheat and buy the frozen roll dough balls and let them thaw/rise according to instructions on the package. But for those who are gifted in the art of bread-making or want to give it a try, here's the dough recipe (watch out--I think it makes a lot):

  • 5 lbs. flour
  • 7 pkg. of yeast
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup oil
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 10 cups warm water

Sauce:

  • 8 cans of coconut milk (any brand)
  • 3-1/2 cups sugar
  • Flour to make the sauce a little thicker (optional)

Put dough balls for rolls in a large greased baking pan (I use 9"x13"). In a large bowl, mix the coconut milk and sugar until sugar is dissolved. (You can add some flour to thicken it up, but I usually don't). When rolls are risen and ready to bake, pour sauce over them so there is a nice layer of the sauce on the bottom of the pan for the rolls to bake in. Bake at 350 degrees till the rolls are nice and golden brown.

Be aware that this recipe makes a lot. I usually make 2 pans worth. One good way of doing this is using the bread maker roll recipe that I have posted. It makes about 2 pans worth, and then I use 2 cans of coconut milk and ~1 cup of sugar for the sauce. Of course, amount of sugar can be adjusted according to your sweetness preference.

6 comments:

Suz said...

I had these at a luau years ago. They are so good. Thanks for the recipe. Think I will try it today.

Amber said...

my husband loves to make these--and he loves to make homemade bread. Maybe the two of you will have to join forces sometime to make them for us all.

brenna said...

i'm eating one of these right now. They are pretty good...

Amber said...

Do you take requests? I'd like your recipe for coconut shrimp.

Suz said...

Your caramel apples are better than any I have every bought. Thanks for sharing them with us on your last vist. Any new recipes coming out soon???

Chelsea said...

Abe, I just saw your family's Christmas card at my mom's house and had to come check out your blog. Look at you and your bad self! Erin must consider herself a lucky girl to have a husband who makes all these good meals and treats =) I'm sure I'll be back often to get some good recipe ideas! Chris and Kip say hi, too.