Saturday, March 22, 2008

Buttermilk Pie

Here's another buttermilk recipe! I couldn't end my streak of buttermilk recipes without including a pie recipe (in honor of my pie-loving wife). This is another recipe from Nan. It turns out as sort of a custard-like pie. The flavor is subtle and it lends itself well to any topping that you may be in the mood for. It is good with just some whip cream or vanilla ice cream, or you could go with some chocolate, or fruit (I made a rasberry sauce to go over it and thought it was excellent). I found that the recipe here is enough to fill 2 of the pre-made frozen pie crusts that you can buy at the store.
  • 7 eggs, beaten
  • 2 cups buttermilk
  • 3 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 cup melted butter (or margarine)
  • 2 (9 in.) unbaked pie shells

Beat eggs and buttermilk together. Mix flour, sugar, and salt together; add to egg and buttermilk mixture. Blend in vanilla and butter. Mix well. Pour into pie shell. Bake at 325 degrees for at least 1 hour (I have found about 80 minutes to be right for me) until center is set.

1 comment:

nathan n rachel said...

A tasty pie. Thanks for sharing!