Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Tahitian Coconut Bread



This recipe reminds me of Hawaii. In the Tahitian village at the Polynesian Cultural Center they bake this bread and give samples to the visitors. They also pass out the recipe. They divide the dough into about 5 parts, wrap it in aluminum foil and bake it. I have found that all of the dough fits nicely into a bread loaf pan, and makes for a nice loaf of this deliciously simple bread. I use my bread machine to make the dough for me and then put it into a greased loaf pan. Note that it is a not a yeast bread and, therefore, doesn't require kneading or rising.
  • 2 cups grated coconut
  • 4 cups flour
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  1. Combine cocounut, sugar and water.
  2. Blend flour and baking powder together.
  3. Mix all ingredients to a doughy texture, adding a little flour as needed so it's not too sticky.
  4. Place in greased bread loaf pan (or divide into 5 parts and wrap in aluminum foil).
  5. Bake in 350 degree oven for 60 to 90 minutes, until light brown on top and cooked in the center (a knife or toothpick stuck into the center comes out clean, not doughy).

3 comments:

Kari said...

Looks good. I'll have to try it. Do you use white flour? Have you tried it with wheat or whole wheat pastry flour?

Abraham said...

I've only tried it with white all-purpose flour. Let me know if you try it with other types!

nikki d said...

sounds delicious! Do we know roughly how many servings this is? Do you use sweetened coconut?