Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Buttermilk Syrup

This is a delicious syrup recipe that my mother-in-law shared with me. We had it at their home on Christmas morning served with German pancakes (though I think it goes great with any kind of pancake, french toast, waffle, etc.). I have also found that it stores well in the refrigerator and still tastes great when re-heated in the microwave. For those of you who have been to Magleby's Fresh restaurant in Utah, it reminds me of the buttermilk syrup that is served there.

  • 1 cube of butter
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp. light corn syrup

Place the preceding ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil for 1 minute and then remove from heat and add:

  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda

Syrup will foam up when the baking soda is added. Stir until it is mixed thoroughly. Serve immediately or syrup will lose its foamy consistency.

2 comments:

Caitlyn Jackson said...

YEAH YOU LISTENED TO ME

brenna said...

I like to pour this on ice cream. It makes a good topping...